Monday, April 14, 2008

Random stuff . . .

The dove out my window...
I spoke from Matthew 10 this week talking about being wise as a serpent and gentle as a dove. As it happened, I spotted a mourning dove outside my window today. Doves are cool. When they walk, their heads rock back forward and back. They look a little goofy, but I learned that they do so because they cannot walk and focus their eyes at the same time.

Move, focus, move, focus, move focus . . . People are the same, I think. Its hard for me to focus when I am moving, too. When I stop, though . . .

Andrew Lloyd Weber...
My daughter and I watched Phantom of the Opera last night. I've never seen it before. Loved it. Abby said, "Andrew Lloyd Weber is a genius." She's right. She sang along with Christine, and I sang along with Raoul and the Phantom.

Schmuck is a bad word...
Mentioned on Sunday that some people see naive Christians and think, "What a bunch of schmucks." Turns out that is a bad word in Yiddish. Didn't know that. Bad on me.

2 Samuel. . .
Read this in my quiet time this morning and it brought me great hope: "All of us must die eventually. Our lives are like water spilled out on the ground, which cannot be gathered up again. But God does not just sweep life away; instead, he devises ways to bring us back when we have been separated from him." (2 Samuel 14:14, NLT)

5 comments:

David H. Willis said...

Phantom is the best. I've seen it twice. The first time I was most reluctant to go to a "musical", but my mind was changed after seeing it.

Soren said...

Mrs. Soren and I saw Phantom when we lived in Virginia. It was great.

You didn't know that "schmuck" meant "schmuck"? ROFL
Bless you heart, brother Palmer never said "schmuck" from the pulpit :-)

One time I said (from the pulpit), that someone got a wild hair. I didn't know that there was more to the expression. Oops!

Frank Weller said...

What the heck does ROFL mean? Do I look like a sixteen-year-old texter?

Anonymous said...

Just wanted you to know that one of the guys who portrays the Phantom is a friend of mine from high school back in the day.
While attending Hillsdale High School,
Mike Lackey and I played football together, sat next to each other in choir, and hung out in art class together. We made posters for all the football and basketball games as well.
He had an awesome voice and most of us knew he'd go big time with his acting talent as well. Talked with him recently, he lives in Adrian MI now. Just finished the Phantom production in Las Vegas about a month or so ago. Here's his official website:
http://www.michaellackey.com/

Caleb said...

Hey Dad, I noticed that. when you said "schmuck" i was like is that supposed to happen. oh be the way ROFL rolling on the floor laughing