Friday, January 25, 2008

Small Group

Galatians, Guns and Grace. Ah yes, that's my kind of small group!

Mrs. Frankly and I had our first small group meeting tonight and we enjoyed it thoroughly. We hung out in Galatians 1 learning about Paul's apostleship. Seems Paul thought his bona fides came from God and not men. He might not have attended Jerusalem Tech to earn his degree in legalism (or maybe he did, actually), but he did spend three years earning his PhG (piled high with grace) degree with Jesus in the wilderness.

It was really good to connect with a group of people that I have no responsibility to teach. It was good to hear my children laughing with the other kids in the group; to hear my daughter belch from the living room half a house away. It was good to find out people were going to be praying for me and to assure them I would be praying for them. It was good to talk about orthotics with Paul and semi-automatics with Joe.

The Franklies will make this a regular visit, I am sure.

There is something affirming and organically healthy about connecting with a smaller group of people at a heart level. It reminds me that I need them. And it helps me to know that maybe they need me too.

I highly recommend it.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Welcome to the family Frank, Tracy, Abby, Caleb and Jonah! And, yes, what we have, what we are is family.

The fellowship is a necessary and authentic extension of "church" beyond Sunday morning. I'm glad that you've landed with us and hope you'll find as the days and months pass that we need you as much as you need us.

We serve a great God.

"...'No eye has seen, nor ear has heard, no mind has conceived what God has prepared for those who love Him.'"

1 Corinthians 2:9