Tuesday, November 22, 2005

A Frankly Speaking Christmas Carol

(Sung to the tune of "My Favorite Things" from The Sound of Music)

Christmas cards, stockings and trees that catch fire,
Shopping mall craziness raises my ire.
Visiting in-laws the wife to appease.
These are the "joys" of life’s holiday squeeze.


Snowdrifts in my yard and ice in my gutters.
Shoveling sidewalks with children who mutter.
Iced over windows and dead batteries.
These are the "joys" of life’s holiday squeeze.

School’s out early,
Kids are surly,
Mom and dad are cranks
I try to remember my holiday cheer,
But its hard this time of year.

Maybe this year I can focus on Jesus.
God’s Son sent earthward from our sin to free us.
He is the reason for holiday cheer,
He brings real joy in this time of the year.

The seasons adornments are all quite inspiring.
But if they’re our focus they only cause tiring.
They’re not the reason for holiday cheer,
He brings real joy in this time of the year.

Little baby,
In the manger,
Sent from God above.
A Savior from Heaven the world to redeem,
To manifest God’s great love!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow...a preacher and a poet!

What else might you be that starts with "P"?

Anonymous said...

I had to have my wife sing it to me...because I didn't recall the tune. It was such a wonderful moment, *sigh* Thanks so much for that moving holiday experience.

Have you thought about recording it?

Anonymous said...

Hi,

Lance sent me the link to your clever song. Great!

I have enjoyed the other posts on your site as well -- thanks for sharing your insights and your talented way of expressing them.

Holiday blessings!!

Frank Weller said...

Thanks everyone! Merry Christmas!