That got me to thinking about the five stages of grief. I wonder, do they apply to saying goodbye to people you love?
- Denial - They're not really moving away. They can't be.
- Anger - Why are they leaving? Where's their loyalty? Doesn't our friendship mean anything to them?
- Guilt - I wish we had spent more time together. If only I would have ______________.
- Genuine grief - In essence, a good cry.
- Resolution - I accept that the "status is no longer quo" and joyfully move on with life.
The time will come when all that remains is the joy of a lifelong friendship. I believe that. I hope my kids do, too.