- $75 for team approved basketball shoes for Abby
- $40 for Abby's "practice pack"
- $35 a month for a trombone for Jonah (It's only $600 if we pay all at once)
- $75 for Caleb's Junior High semi-formal dance (ticket, corsage for date, new shoes, slacks)
- $290 for a class ring for Abby
If you believe Peter Benson's research on the 40 Developmental Assets at Search Institute (and I think it is some of the best out there), involvement in things like band, and sports, and positive peer relationships are the very things that help kids avoid destructive behaviors. The price you and I pay, $50 here and there, is small compared to the incomparable financial, physical, emotional and spiritual toll that results from trying to parent on the cheap.
At least that's what I plan to tell myself the next time Caleb hits me up for five bucks to go to the game.