Sunday, November 09, 2008

Does Jesus weep when he sees this?



Yahoo published a piece this morning about a riot that broke out in a Jerusalem church - the Church of the Holy Sepulcher, in fact. (The BBC, AP and well, I guess just about every major news outlet carried the sad tale.) Seems that Armenian and Greek Orthodox monks got into a tussle. And what was the fuss all about? Which group "owns the rights" to the ancient structure built on what is believed to be the ancient site of Jesus' burial.

My friend Maceo alerted me to the event. An observant Jew, Maceo had this to say:
Unbelievable! To make it all even more unbelievable, it's not EVEN the site of his death, burial and resurrection. HELLO!

Golgotha, the place that looks JUST like a giant skull is just outside of Damascus Gate and a few blocks away from the old walled city of Jerusalem.

AND the GARDEN TOMB is just beneath the hill that stretches over Golgotha. Practically beside it, and it is CLEARLY marked with Crusader's markings
denoting its validity as the REAL tomb of Jesus.

I'm sure the "cross" they are fighting over is nothing more than
a byzantine fake at best.

These monks are fighting over a whole lot of nothing.

And so it goes on. (SIGH)
He's right, sadly. It does go on. Christians fight over the dumbest stuff. It is no mistake, I think, that the early Christians went out of their way to not identify the places in Jesus' life where the most significant events occurred. Apparently it didn't matter enough to the early church to document where Jesus died, or where his tomb was located. Clearly they knew the locations of these events. Why no atlas appended to the New Testament, then? Because it didn't matter. It still does not.

I would love to go to the Holy Lands and walk where Jesus walked. I can only imagine how much it would inform my faith and inspire my preaching. Nevertheless, geography is nothing without theophany. And, Frankly Speaking, I can experience God wherever I go.

Sadly, it appears that some who trod the same streets where Jesus once taught "love thy neighbor," fail to experience Christ's presence in spite of their holy surroundings.

Do we?

4 comments:

Rod Bisher said...

Hey Frank,
Yeah, I saw this on You Tube yesterday as well. Another example of Satan entering the hearts of those who claim to follow God and giving the world another chance to bash Christians...which is, of course, one of Satan's most deceptive schemes to lead people away from the Truth, Jesus Christ.
As for your statement,
"I would love to go to the Holy Lands and walk where Jesus walked. I can only imagine how much it would inform my faith and inspire my preaching. Nevertheless, geography is nothing without theophany. And, Frankly Speaking, I can experience God wherever I go..... I thought that if you go here and click on 8/1, 12/7, 2/7, 10/24, or 3/7, Some of Cass's work with David Eggerichs and filming Dr. Eggerichs may give you, not only inspiration, but some encouragement. Enjoy.
Love in Christ

Rod Bisher said...

Sorry, forgot the link:
http://www.loveandrespect.com/content/weekly_Movies.php?Category=3&Start=0&Page=1#

Sydney said...

You know, I think the holiness of the place is irrelevant nowadays. Most people, no matter what their surroundings are, fail to experience Christ's presence at all, which is also sad. Something I'll pray about. Blessings to all, and good night.

Jeff Graham said...

Maceo is right.
It is laughable when you enter the structure. The time spent inside left me walking away scratching my head and wondering, 'Who thought this one up?'.
Now, for a really good time, visit the Wailing Wall. Matter it not what your faith stance is, one cannot stand on those pavers, view the other's praying and tucking their written prayers into the cracks, nor approach the wall yourself and feel the prescence of G--. Humility takes on a whole new meaning once you have seen G--'s people living out their faith and determination. The mumbling silence is a tremendous Teacher.

Jeff