Wednesday, October 29, 2008

My decision . . .



I've made my decision - John McCain. You won't hear it from my pulpit. It is not an endorsement by our church. This is my personal decision. Certainly there will be many from South that will vote for McCain's opponent. Not me. My vote will not matter, I think, in Michigan. Nevertheless, I cannot vote for the most liberal Senator in the United States Senate.

It's not a black thing. Give me J.C. Watts or Thomas Sowell or Alan Keyes and I'll punch that ballot every time.

Its a position thing.

Abortion . . . I want a leader who doesn't think the issue "is above [his] pay grade."

Spread the wealth around . . . my kids mow lawn and shovel snow and babysit to earn money for the things they want to do. Should I force them to give their hard earned cash to their couch dwelling, Playstation playing classmates? Same principle.

Taxes . . . given this economy, why should we raise taxes on anyone? 95% of Americans will receive a tax break? I'm suspicious, but even if that were the case, isn't it the 5% that pay the most already? Don't the 5% invest in the companies that provide jobs for the rest of us? When we raise taxes, the economy suffers - just ask Californians. Their nation-highest business tax is running companies out of the state leading to a projected $10 billion budget deficit (more than double the GDP of the African nation where my sister lives.)

In my daughter's American Studies class (she is a High School junior) they have been viewing "American historical" movies. They've watched Roots, and Bury my Heart at Wounded Knee, and The Last of the Mohicans among others. Recently her teacher announced, "You won't want to miss this next movie. It is probably the only one I will show that will make you feel good about America." Nice. I'm all for exploring our nation's faults, but haven't we gotten it right sometimes, too? When I watch Senator Obama, I hear him say one thing, but the fact that he can say it leads me to another conclusion. He talks about the politics of exclusion and two americas and "white man's greed runs a world in need." That an African-American, former Muslim is within a frog's hair of becoming President of the United States disproves his words.

I don't know if an Obama Administration will make me feel good about being an American or not. My ministry colleague David tells me Obama will restore our country's international standing. I hope he is right.

More importantly, I hope I don't get the chance to find out.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm glad you see the light.

The latest on Obama is he wants a second Bills of Rights because the government doesn't have enough power.

I thought the first Bill of Rights was pretty good. After all, the founders of this country did not want a large federal government. The original intention was for the states to have the most power.

McCain isn't the best person to be president, but it is better to have him than someone who has had associations with terroists, communists and people that hate the United States.

Bruce.
Kokomo, IN

Julia said...

For what it is worth, I'm curious about the decision to identify Senator Obama as a former Muslim and about the work you've done investigating the details surrounding this assertion.

Unfortunately, in our society the word "Muslim" is seen as a dirty word, associated with terrorists, 9/11 and all that is ungodly. I think that you could have made your point better, without triggering the negative associations, by pointing out that a Black man, the child of what was essential a single mother and raised by his grandparents has surpassed many trials to earn the position of United States Senator, a man who professes Christ and is days before being elected to the position of United State President.

I think the fact that he professes Christ is much more significant than the fact that he was raised in the religion of his Father.

Frank Weller said...

What work have you done to investigate the details surrounding this assertion? The fact that Senator Obama once practiced Islam as a child (his step-father's choice) is not in dispute. Both the Washington Post and the Chicago Tribune are on the record saying so.

My reason for mentioning it is simply to point out how far we've come. When JFK ran, there was near hysteria at the prospect of electing a Catholic. Now, the only time you hear about Senator Biden's Catholicism is when he is being rebuked by his bishop for his position on abortion.

We live in an eclectic, pluralistic society. Even if the Senator was still a practicing Muslim, I wouldn't take issue with his faith. That wasn't the point of the paragraph. The point was: how can he make hay out of the "politics of exclusion" when his candidacy is proof that, though we've got a ways to go, we're more inclusive as a society than ever before?

There is no "stigma" attached to being fatherless in our culture. There has been, as you rightly note, a clear bias against both his color and against his father's religion. That he has overcome the former and at least the appearance of the latter is an indication that America isn't as divided as his campaign portrays it to be.

John A. Scott said...

Travis, my daughters Krystal, Hannah and I went to see John McCain in Defiance Ohio today. He was great! He is ready to serve this nation as President. Mrs. Cindy McCain reminded us that her husband signed onto the surge knowing that it could take the life of one of their children, and John knew the risk but thought of country first. Mr. McCain told of him being on an aircraft carrier, ready to take off to go into North Korea when the threat of war was just minutes away. He was ready then to do what needed to be done and he will do the same as President. My opinion: Obama will have check with his fellow past board members, his wife and United Nations to decide what to do next. McCain will not need advice from Biden, Obama, his momma or the U. N. to know what to do. He will put country first. Obama is more concerned about the lives of terrorists than he is for the lives of those who punish their parents because they were conceived at the wrong time for their convenience.
It was great to be near this man. It was great to be able to share this experience with my daughters. I thought they may get board, they did not. They were just as thrilled with the event as I. Thanks Frank for being as Frankly as ever. Come on Michigan, Ohio and Indiana, let's vote for McCain.

Rod Bisher said...

People who have sons and daughters in the military who serve for the cause of freedom, not just here, but around the world, we understand that freedom has a price...it is not free.
Go here, read the article and the comments, then ask yourself the question, "Which one of the candidates not only understands this cost, but would actually or has actually participated in paying that cost?" If you're going to lead, you can't expect your followers to do what you have not or will not do. That criteria clarifies the platforms of our two candidates...and I, as well as many others, will not trust a leader to send my son into harm's way without that leader personally knowing what is at stake. Here's the site:
www.military.com/news/article/ destroyer-to-be-named-after-seal- hero.html?col=1186032311124

James Pahl said...

Gotta be honest Frank, I'm surprised. I would have left this private and personal decision exactly that.

Debbi Rountree said...

James, I disagree! After all, this is his blog. Blogs are where you are supposed to be able to express all of your thoughts, whether we agree with them or not (I do happen to agree with him on this one). I would have a real problem if he preached it from the pulpit as I feel that would be inappropriate. There have been things that he has posted on his blog that I don't necessarily agree with, but it's his blog, he can state his "private and personal" beliefs. Just my thoughts.

Sister Alissa Lynne said...

As an Christian African American woman, let me tell you...when I say that I am not voting for Obama, the replies I get are so off the wall and down right rude, wait - it is not the unsaved that are rude but my fellow sisters and brothers in Christ who are rude.

Many do not share my view, but I will say this...I will not vote for people who clearly stand against what I hold dear in my life and my walk in the Lord. This is way more important to me than anything else in this world, my walk with the Lord.

I am standing with the Lord in this election and praying for all that are voting and that they also listen to what the Lord is directing them to do. I am blessed in my life with the Lord and that is all I truly care about. It really does not matter who is in office because that is NOT where our help comes from - our hope is in Jesus not Obama - not McCain and surely not this world! My heaven is not here and I will be looking to the Lord for my help!!

By the way yet another great outlook on this upcoming election. I like your aspect of things - though it is a little different than mine, you are truly speaking truth in your words...keep moving forward in Jesus...I shall return to read more from you. God Bless my brother in Christ!