Thursday, February 01, 2007

OJ Has Left the Binding

I'm leading a group of guys through a leadership study right now, and we're reading John Maxwell's Developing the Leader Within You. In chapter nine, Maxwell develops the theme of self-discipline as a key to successful leadership.

I was surprised to find a quote from O.J. Simpson on page 170. Maxwell writes, "Be responsible for who you are. O.J. Simpson said, 'The day you take complete responsibility for yourself, the day you stop making excuses, that's the day you start to the top.' I believe that statement . . . "

Interesting. The book was published in 1993 when Ron and Nicole were still with us. In the paperback edition that I purchased for our guys, Juice's quote is notably absent, and the paragraph now reads:
Be responsible for who you are. I believe that statement. In fact, I'd like you to consider how it relates to research done by a psychologist who studied some people on the bottom.

The psychologist visited a prison and asked various inmates, "Why are you here?" The answers were very revealing, even though expected. There were many of them: "I was framed"; "They ganged up on me"; "It was a case of mistaken identity"; "It was not me - it was somebody else." The psychologist wondered if one could possibly find a larger group of "innocent" people anywhere else but in prison!
Wow . . .

No comments: